I was in a secret room I did not know existed, surrounded by successful businessmen. On the mirror it read “Smoke. Drink. Conspire.”

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Smoke. Drink. Conspire.




Over the last year I have had the privilege to work along side two of the best financial planners in the country. I was placed in the role of mentee under these two men and was shown a world I, nor anyone in my family, has ever seen before. I found myself invited to dinners with wildly successful entrepreneurs, businessmen, and lawyers. On one particular evening, I was sitting in my favorite cigar lounge (one I frequent with my friends). I was in a secret room I did not know existed, surrounded by successful businessmen in fields such as medical, corporate law, and commercial real estate. A few of these men, including my mentor, bring home an annual salary in the seven figures. On the mirror behind the bar of this secret room read the words “Smoke. Drink. Conspire.”  I knew I had to take advantage of this opportunity and learn as much as I could from these men. I found that most of the things they said to me made a lot of sense. Now I feel it is my responsibility to share and educate others on what I have learned.
  
"Smoke, Drink, Conspire". Over a year later it is those words that sticks out to me the most about that night. This is a room where business is done. This is a room where finances are discussed, strategies are developed, and deals are made. One gentlemen had his son with him taking notes and writing down important details that were being discussed. I was a few years older than his son and I too was taking notes. I learned so much about myself and my culture that night.   

That night I learned my own personal budgeting habits were counterproductive. I had spent very little time planning for the future and living a lifestyle that matched my income. Where did I learn how to handle our finances? Traditions in my family include religion, the kinds of food I eat, holidays I celebrate, and even the music I listen to. But what I did not realize is without someone teaching me how to handle my personal finances and business like the gentlemen and his son in the cigar lounge, I am bound to use the precedents set by our parents, community, and environment.

It is time that we change our thinking. Its time we start talking about finances with our families. And if we are struggling we need to know it is okay to seek professional help. Financial Advisors are not only for those who have established wealth. They are also for those who want to start building as well as those who are in need of help. So if you need it, seek it. 

Chad Spann
Financial Representative 


No comments:

Post a Comment